Weight Loss Ticker

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Day 22 - Family - Gotta Love 'Em

We're unsure if we're going to get blown off on the dinner at Golden Corral, but Justin and his sister are at the store getting a card because we were told to meet there at 1.  We'll see, we've been blown off by this part of the family before... told we'd get a call and never hear anything until the grandparents need our help.  The other side of the family... well the grandparents get invited several places for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and we spend the day with the 4 of us at home.  The only time we're invited is when it's the whole family (and it's not at a family members' house).  It bothers me a bit, but I'm more worried about Ginny when she gets old enough to realize that her 3rd cousin who is only 2 years older than her is having a birthday party and she's not invited.  Of course we don't often hear about those parties except when the grandparents on that side say something.

With my family, we may not be invited to birthday parties other than the immediate family (i.e. I know we're all invited to my nephew's party if we can get down there, a cousin maybe not so much), but everyone gets together for the holidays.  If I were in Vermont around any of the holidays, I'd be expected to show up at my aunt's house unless I had other plans.  My immediate family was distinctly unhappy that I wasn't down there... again I'm expected there unless I have other plans.  No sitting at home just the 4 of us trying not to make too much for the holiday because the kids don't eat much and I don't want leftovers for a week, or eating just 'normal' food.  This year it was steak, potatoes and veggies.  Not to mention my family all gets together for random occasions, 4th of July or my sister's birthday since she shares a birthday with my oldest nephew...  Plus shopping the day after Thanksgiving.  Ok, so I'll admit it's been 15 years since I did much of that, but I do enjoy being out in the crowds.  At least as long as I'm not expected to be there at unGodly hours like 5 am LOL  

Don't get me wrong, I do love Justin's family but we get little to no support from them and few get togethers or socialization time.  Heck, if I were near my family in VT or FL, we'd have an occasional game night just because.

If you can't tell, I'm a touch homesick.  My stepdad turned 70 this year, my youngest has never met him and my daughter hasn't seen him since 2006 and doesn't really know who he is.  Mom, she turns 70 in 2014, I'd like for my kids to meet them and spend time with them before then.  I know my nephew (who turns 1 year in March) smiles every time he sees Mom, and it makes me sad that my kids will plaster themselves against Justin or myself when they see my family for the first time.  Hopefully it won't take long for them to get over it.

My plan (to make the move more real) is to live with my parents while looking for a place for the 4 of us.  The kids and I will go once I get our tax return this year.  Justin will keep up with the newspaper route until I find a place.  My parents will have a 3 bedroom house by then.  They're raising the son of a former foster child (long story, they're no longer foster parents) and there will only be 1 extra room.  Not really enough room for the 4 of us, but we can manage 3 a bit easier.  We have to, Justin can't watch either of the kids and do the paper route.

No comments: